I had to feed a troupe of hungry adults breakfast before we headed out to Gettysburg National Park. But I didn’t want to have to get up and cook so I made these make ahead breakfast sandwiches and they were a huge hit. Claire helped me with the heating and serving of these little bits of yum. And also served as sandwich model!
I used frozen whole grain waffles as my base and piled on eggs, pimento cheese and chicken sausage from there. But honestly you could use any combination of meat/cheese/egg. And could even substitute waffles for english muffins, crumpets or any carb your heart desires.
The only thing that is remotely time consuming is making the individual eggs. But I have a little trick up my sleeve that makes it slightly less onerous. I microwave my eggs in a wide based soup cup. Put a splash of olive oil in the cup, crack your egg in, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and microwave. Depending on how done you want your eggs your time will range form 30 seconds to a full minute. I did these for about 45 seconds each.
I had to make 8 sandwiches but my cutting board isn’t big enough for all the so I did them in two batches. I then bagged them up and put them in the freezer until it was time to take them up to our Gettysburg AirBnB.
We popped them in the oven heated to 375 degrees for about twenty minutes and they were ready to go. I also put out some fancy mustards and mayos so that people could jazz up their sandwiches.
As you can see freezing and reheating didn’t harm that at all. And the time in the oven got the pimento cheese all lovely and melty while the waffles crisped up. This would be an excellent thing to make on a Sunday and pull out of the freezer/fridge on a weekday morning and reheat in the microwave or toaster oven before work.
Let me know in the comments what you would put on your sandwich! I love hearing new ideas!
Ingredients, serves 8:
- 2 packages of frozen whole grain waffles
- 1 package of chicken sausage with four sausages
- 8 eggs
- 1 tub pimento cheese
- Pull waffles out of freezer, do not defrost or warm up.
- Apply thin layer of pimento cheese to two waffles
- Cut sausage in half length wise and then again crosswise to leave you with four pieces.
- Place two pieces of sausage on top of one waffle
- Cook individual eggs in mug for 45 seconds after seasoning with salt and pepper
- Place egg on top of other waffle
- Close sandwich and put in paper bag and freeze or refrigerate.
- Once ready to eat place on microwave safe dish and microwave for 1 minute if from fridge and three minutes if from freezer
- If baking place in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes if from fridge and 40 minutes if frozen