It’s almost spring here. Almost. And Spring means basil. Basil means pesto. So. Much. Pesto. But it’s not quite spring and I don’t have enough fresh basil at the moment so I had to settle for the store bought variety. I had a pile of frozen, pesto marinaded chicken breasts in the freezer which I used to make this low carb dinner.
I spread them out on a baking sheet and covered them in the ready made pesto. I also realized that sizing wise I had some that were way too big so I cut them down so that everything was more similar size-wise. And then covered with fresh mozzarella.
I added in some tomatoes both for color and because the fresh tomato taste is integral to a good caprese balance. I also sprinkled on some fresh ground pepper. Anyone form the south will tell you that ripe tomatoes just require fresh ground pepper.
Now it was time to bake. Once it came out of the oven Lloyd quipped that I had a cooking fail because it didn’t look particular appetizing. Little did the man know that I had a plan. But it definitely looked unappealing.
However, once I scooped the breasts out of the pan and plated them with a balsamic dressed greens salad (completing the caprese balance) it no longer looked like a cooking fail.
Hope you enjoy making this! It’s easy, fast and rather healthy if you are looking for low carb options. You can make this recipe with as many or as few chicken breasts as you want. You don’t have to use marinaded chicken if you don’t have it. I just happened to have some in my freezer and decided to use those. Also, if you have leftovers just stick them in the fridge and use them for brunch the next morning with this, Chicken Caprese Brunch.
- Chicken breasts and/or thighs
- Mozzarella (fresh or shredded)
- Salad greens
- Balsamic dressing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut chicken pieces to approximately the same size and cover with pesto.
- Top chicken pieces with mozzarella followed by tomatoes and sprinkle on some pepper.
- Bake chicken for 30-40 minutes until cheese is starting get golden and bubbly. Liquid will release. Do not be alarmed.
- Serve with greens lightly tossed in balsamic dressing.